Wednesday, October 7, 2015

One Eyed, One Horned, Flying Purple People [Eatery]?

Scrumptious Spotlight: Purple People Eatery Food Truck


"An oldie, but, definitely, a goodie!"

Good afternoon, foodies of the world!

It seems as though I've found some pretty interesting food trucks in the past few months or so, wouldn't you say? Although, each with their own quirky twist, still just as delicious. There's just something about good food on wheels that does something to this country, lol. One of the many reasons why the food truck industry is growing at a rapid pace; Even food trucks from back in the day (not that far back, just a few years ago) are still in business... and business is booming, according to them! Quick shout out to those food truck owner/operators who bust their humps every day, morning, noon, and night, making sure to provide nothing but amazing food and an unforgettable experience: ya'll are the real MVP's!

Right now, we're going to dig deep into the beginning of my food truck awakening. My first food truck experience was about five years ago at a local church festival. They had about 20 food trucks show up, everyone brought blankets, tables, and chairs, some even brought their own coolers with drinks, and it was just a great time among wholesome people. I had never been more conflicted in my life; Seeing all those food trucks, each one with something original to offer. I wanted to try them all! Of course, at that moment, I'd have to be rolled out of the festival because I'd probably be the size of a small Macy's Day Parade float, and that's never a good idea, lol. Luckily, for me, I have a great photographic memory, so those food trucks that I couldn't end up trying out, I remembered for next time. Unfortunately, the festival didn't last much longer, and my chances at trying new food every 2nd Friday of the month would soon evaporate. 

Thank goodness for this blast from the past!

I was at the Wynwood art walk this month (When aren't I, is the real question, lol) and, as per ush, looking to try a new food truck. I passed by my usual suspects: Crazydilla, HipPops, Cheeseburger Baby... all really fantastic spots to eat, but I wanted something different... and there it was...


The last time I had seen Purple People Eatery was five years ago at the local church festival I told you about. I remembered it because of the great artwork on the truck and the super long line forming from the window. Common sense tells you if there's a really long line, there's a very good chance that whatever is coming out of that window is really good. I didn't even think about it twice, so I jumped in line. About 20 minutes later, I reached the window, without a clue of what to order. So, I asked the lovely woman at the window what their top seller was and she mentioned something I would have never guessed: Mahi-Mahi Tacos! Seriously? Fish tacos?! Now, knowing me, I'm not too partial to seafood, much less fish, especially from a place that isn't known to specialize in fish. Well, my fellow foodies, I had to hand it to them, they made a believer out of me. The order brought three tacos, of which I had two options to choose from: Mahi-Mahi or Pork Carnitas. A natural lover and fan of pork carnitas, I decided on making two of them pork and taking a chance, made the last one Mahi-Mahi. The pork tacos were served with an avocado sauce, chayote slaw (Chayote is a vegetable that has almost the same consistency and bite as an apple), kimchee crema, and cilantro. The pork was seasoned beautifully; unctuous, succulent, but not overly greasy. The kimchee crema mixed with the chayote slaw added such a dimension of flavor and texture, and when paired with the avocado sauce, it all married so nicely on my tongue. Of course, I know not everyone is such a fan of cilantro as I am, but I can honestly say, finishing off that juicy, spicy pork taco with a touch of cilantro really rounded out the entire package. But, now came the moment of truth: the fish taco. The Mahi-Mahi was dipped in a ginger beer batter, and fried to absolute crispy perfection. Then, they dressed the taco with red leaf lettuce, chipotle mayo, radish slices, scallions, and a pineapple-jalapeno salsa, served alongside a touch of ponzu sauce. Ladies and gents of the blog: I am an official lover and believer of fish tacos! I almost regret not getting two of the fish and one of the pork! It was like Asia on my palate! The crunch of the lettuce with the radishes and the scallions, plus the gently fried (but still crispy) fish was a very pleasant experience. The double punch of the salsa and the chipotle mayo really added an extra kick to the dish, and that little kiss of acidity from the ponzu was perfect, if you like a little bit of lemon on your fish.

To the awesome team at Purple People Eatery, keep on making believers out of us! Your friendly faces and amazing fare made for such an awesome experience, even if it was just from the window. I will definitely be back for more! I just hope I'll be able to make a quick decision: Pork carnitas or Mahi-Mahi, lol!

As always, foodies of the world, I send you love and delicious noms from me to you. Happy eating!


Exquisitely yours,

Nicky

No comments:

Post a Comment