Thursday, October 1, 2015

You've Stolen a [Pizza] My Heart!

Scrumptious Spotlight: Steve's Pizza - NMB


Late night study sessions call for cheesy goodness!

Hey there, fellow foodies!

Okay, so I've noticed I've been writing about places I've been to, recipes I've made, and even food joints I've been to (and saved money in the process), but that's about it. I think it's time I get a little more personal with you all. 

Not only do I have a full time job, I also attend Florida International University (Modesto Maidique Campus) part time. I am studying for my Bachelor's Degree in Industrial/Organizational Psychology, and am extremely proud to be a Golden Panther! Now, as a student who spends long hours studying in the Green Library late at night for exams, there aren't too many places open at that time. You can imagine until what time students actually stay there, since around midterms and finals time, FIU keep its Green Library open for very long hours. Well, around my campus, there's the usual suspects: greasy fast food chains, coffee shops with stale donuts and bagels, and the usual "Los Verdes" restaurants that love to smother everything they make in crushed potato chips and pink sauce (If you've never heard of Los Verdes, Google them. Delicious food for after a night of heavy drinking, not heavy, sober studying). FIU has two campuses in South Florida: Modesto Maidique, and Biscayne Bay Campus, which is arguably the nicest campus I've ever seen. Imagine going to school with a fabulous view of Biscayne Bay. Yep, I love Miami, lol.

Near FIU's BBC location, there's a little spot that was recommended to me by a good friend of mine. He ranted and raved about how good the pizza was, and how the prices were great. So, I decided to take detour up north, and landed at Steve's Pizza in North Miami Beach.

As soon as I walked in, I could immediately gather from the atmosphere and the clientele that it was definitely a "college spot". It's this little 'hole-in-the-wall' joint serving up real good pizza! Best part? They're open late. And I don't mean 'midnight' late; I mean three and four in the morning. When you step foot inside, the maximum capacity inside the building must be around 20-25 persons, tops. Outside, they are picnic tables with umbrellas set up for larger parties. The seats, tables, and walls are covered with graffiti tags and "Mike Was Here" posts, and yet it didn't look trashy at all. Steve's employees were hustling and bustling, busting out orders given, both, on the phone and in person. I reached the front of the line and ordered a single slice of cheese pizza and a Pepsi. No big deal. Keeping it simple, like my momma taught me. About seven minutes later, I hear my name called from the kitchen; my pizza was ready. Piping hot, steam coming from the crust, tiny droplets of grease, bubbling from the cheese. I was excited.

This was the kind of pizza that needs an abundance of napkins, not because it's messy, but because it is a HUGE slice of pizza! I mean, all you have to see if how it overlaps off the sides of the plate in the picture. What's the best part? It all cost me under ten dollars, tax and all. I took a bite. Immediately, I taste the cheese, which oozed onto my tongue, and right behind was the pop of tomato, basil, and a hint of oregano: the sauce. Finally, I get the bite of the crust that is ever so soft on the inside, yet on the outside, there's a touch of crispiness from the wood burning oven (which gets insanely hot). Now, it has happened to me before where I'll order a slice of pizza from a place that does larger than life pies, like Steve's, but they end up falling apart on me. One of the things I loved the most about Steve's Pizza, is that the pizza stayed in tact. Bite, after bite, after delicious bite, my slice stayed in one piece, and I didn't have to fashion a bib out of some paper towels. Am I aware that this is my second blog post about pizza? Yes. Do I see myself returning to Steve's? Let's just say I am now looking for any chance to transfer to the BBC campus, lol. Hey, at least I won't go hungry because I'll know exactly where to eat: at Steve's!

To the vivacious staff at Steve's Pizza, thank you all for being so full of life and energy. Clearly, you all know how pizza should be made, and you know it inside and out. My only wish is that I lived closer. Even then, it wouldn't stop me from getting that sinful 2 a.m. slice of heaven on a Tuesday. One slice of Steve's, and I'll forget about any club going up on a Tuesday, lol!

As always, my fellow foodies, I send you all nothing but love and delicious noms, from me to you.


Exquisitely yours,

Nicky


2 comments:

  1. I have heard many great reviews on Yelp, but since you have reviewed it and raved about it, more of a reason why I have to try some delicious pizza!! It is like eating NYC pizza, great pic btw! now I am hungry lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I was able to spark some interest!

      Xoxo, Nicky

      Delete