Thursday, February 12, 2015

The [Sesame] Seed Has Been Planted...

A Long Time Ago in A Galley Kitchen Far, Far Away…


Meet Nicky: Recipe Enthusiast and Flavor Fiend.

In the ever growing world of food bloggers, especially living in Miami, I know I'm not the only one that knows good eats and where to get it. But, like so many wonderful things this world has to offer, I like to consider myself a different kind of 'foodie' (cliche, I know, lol).

I'm Nicky. Food has been a prominent presence in my life for many reasons. Not only is my family filled to the brim with recipes handed down from generations prior, but growing up in a melting pot of cultures and cuisines and with the guidance of my parents to try everything "at least once", has helped to mold me into the gastronome I am today.

I was born and raised in Miami, Florida on the west side of the town. Growing up in Kendall, there is a very large Cuban influence, which is great, seeing as though I'm Cuban American (and PROUD to be!). My father was born in Holguin, Cuba, and my mother was born in Havana. My paternal great grandparents were Lebanese, which has led to an enormous love for Mediterranean fare (so much so that it's my favorite food). I have an uncle who was a chef for the Coral Gables Country Club. As a child, I remember walking in and being greeted by the distinct smell of Camaron Enchilado and freshly pressed garlic in olive oil slowly coming to a simmer. It's pungent aroma filling the air, triggering my salivary glands. Man, that dish could cure anything I had: common cold, a case of the Mondays, you name it.

My love of food and everything behind it started at a very young age, courtesy of four very beautiful women in my life: my mother, both my grandmothers, and my great aunt, whom without, all this wouldn't make sense. Through them, I've learned how to make traditional Cuban dishes, your average weekday dinners after a busy work day, and a few Lebanese delicacies I have yet to master (I have faith, though, lol). 

While my love for family recipes started to grow, something else started to spark my interest: Trying out different restaurants. My cousin started a Yelp account and began to critique different restaurants around Miami and in her travels cross-country. As I read every post, I suddenly became turned on to this idea: Visiting different food establishments and being able to review their most popular dishes. I mustered up the courage (get it? Mustard?) and created a Yelp account. I started writing and reviewing different spots; focusing mainly on places close to my house, since it was what was most convenient for me at the time. Sadly, though, I lost momentum in writing and decided to just give it a rest. I still found myself going back to my cousin's page and reading about the different dishes she's tried…and every time I felt the want to start my Yelp account all over again, but never did. 

Of course, as Life would have it, we all go through trying monetary times (and with the exceptional economy we have, I don't see the light at the end of the tunnel coming any time soon). So, when events like Miami Spice would come around or a really sweet Groupon deal would magically find its way to my computer, I remind myself that I'm not getting any younger, and invite two or three friends to come enjoy the delicious frugal find with me. Hey, it's not every day one can visit Smith & Wollensky and have an outrageously delicious three-course steak dinner for $39 (with a picturesque backdrop of the Miami Skyline, too!).

I hope my readers can get a sense of who I am as a fellow lover of all things flavor and family. I'm excited to share family recipes with all my followers, rate and review local restaurants (I'm open to suggestions and recommendations, bee tee dubs!), and finding the best deals to enjoy good food and great times for those of you who are "Ballin' on a Budget" (shouts out to all you college kids who's food pyramid contains Ramen Noodles, lol). So, for now, I shall wish nothing but love and delicious noms for you all.

  
Exquisitely yours,

Nicky

No comments:

Post a Comment