Wednesday, March 4, 2015

A Case of Da Munchies?

Scrumptious Spotlight: Da Munchies Food Cart in Wynwood


It's 2:00 A.M. and All The Food Spots Are Closed...

Good evening my fellow Foodies!

I had gone out to Wood Tavern last night with a friend to enjoy a nice time out. It's always a good time at Wood because it's a very care free atmosphere, where no judgement is cast on how you came dressed or what you look like. Everyone goes there with the intention to have a good time amongst good company and great beer. But, after a night out of drinking (Well, drinking heavily, lol), I'm sure the munchies start to kick in. So, what do you when you're straggling out of a bar at 2:00 a.m. and every single restaurant has closed? I've got the answer. You fight the munchies with Da Munchies…


Right as I walked out of Wood and turned the corner onto 2nd Avenue, I was hit with the aroma of grilled hot dog sausages and chicken pinchos. Immediately, my salivary glands started to work overtime. I followed the savory scent and it led me to a little food cart, ran by a sweet local Miami girl. She told me what Da Munchies had to offer and she had me at 'Homemade Barbecue Sauce'. At that point, I was hooked. I'm usually a bit uncertain about the food that comes out of these street carts, as the freshness and quality of the ingredients is unknown. But, I've learned throughout the years that being too safe doesn't exactly allow you to 'live your life'. To quote the famous William Shedd, "A ship is safe in harbor, but that is not what ships are for". So, since I only live once, I decided to take her up on her offer: The usual, which consists of a grilled hot dog sausage, dressed with ketchup, mayonnaise, homemade barbecue sauce, and potato sticks. She started by toasting the hot dog bun on the grill, which had the perfect ratio of meat to bread. It got warm and toasty on the outside, yet remained soft on the inside. The sausage was cooked through and had nice grill marks. When I bit into it, the casing snap, crackle, and popped in my mouth and had just the right amount of heat. It was juicy and delicious. The real star in this late night show, however, was that barbecue sauce. Now, I've always known traditional BBQ sauce to be tangy, smoky, and slightly sweet, but unfortunately, I've only been exposed to store bought varieties. This sauce was money! It was sweet and spicy, tangy and smoky, and brought the perfect amount of Umami (n: Often considered to be one of the basic taste sensations along with sweet, sour, bitter, and salty). Of course, the potato sticks and other sauces played just as important of a role in creating this 2AM treat. The play on textures and flavor combinations kept my taste buds active and wanting more. Once I came down to the end, I was almost sorry I had satisfied my craving. 

To the spunky, full-of-life employees of Da Munchies, thank you for always greeting people with your infectious smiles and great attitudes. It's not easy dealing with people who have had too much to drink and still maintain your fun-loving character. You'll definitely be seeing more of me. Be prepared to satiate my late night cravings.

As per ush, my fellow foodies, I send you nothing but love and delicious noms from me and my late night munchies to you.


Exquisitely yours,

Nicky

No comments:

Post a Comment