Sunday, March 8, 2015

Sweet Emotion!

Scrumptious Spotlight: Fiercely Sweet Cakery



A delicious take on a favorite childhood treat!

Good morning fellow foodies!

I hope everyone slept well. I just finished having a big Sunday breakfast with my parental unit and my younger brother, Jorge. After a long night out with friends, I love making a late breakfast with Mom, coaxing my dad and my brother out of their beds and onto the kitchen stools. It was the usual spread today; scrambled eggs with ham and a touch of cheese, buttered toast, cafe con leche (milk and coffee), and either pancakes or waffles. Now, I normally love to be in the kitchen cooking with Mom, but there's no way I can recreate her special touches, like, how she knows how to toast the bread to the tee, or how she knows the precise ratio of milk to Cuban coffee to make the perfect cafe con leche. So, I decided to sit this one out (today), lol. As always, Mom's Sunday breakfast delivered. After breakfast, I wanted to end with something sweet. As I said before, we normally make waffles or pancakes with a touch of maple syrup to cleanse the palate of our savory beginning, but I wasn't feeling either one. I opened my refrigerator and began to search low and high to see if I found anything that would spark my sweet tooth's interest. Behind the gallon of 2% milk (My favorite), I found a half dozen container of cupcakes from a company called "Fiercely Sweet Cakery"... Now, I know they usually say that curiosity killed the cat, but in this case, thank God for the curious mind...

Fiercely Sweet Cakery is owned and operated by a strong, loving Mother/Daughter duo, Arttie and Briana. Baking has been an art form passed down from generation to generation. As a striving pastry chef, Daughter Briana, along with her Mom Arttie, join forces to create these delicious confections we all know and love as cupcakes. The decision was hard to make, but I ended up trying the Crumb Cake Cupcake. This was totally what my taste buds wanted! Sweet, crunchy, fluffy goodness. As I bit into the cupcake, I was hit with just the right amount of cinnamon. Then, I felt the taste and crunch of the pecans in the cake and in the topping as well, adding another texture to this sugary sweet treat. The vanilla glaze was the icing on the cake (no pun intended, lol). It was smooth, luxurious, and silky. It added just the right amount of sugary goodness to the cupcake. I was mostly impressed with the cake itself, though. It was so light and airy when eaten by itself, but when eaten altogether with the pecans, the cinnamon, and the icing, it holds its own so well and combines with the other ingredients to give you the feeling of eating a rich, luscious coffee cake. I actually had the privilege to speak to Arttie, and when I asked her how her and Briana were able to achieve such lightness in such a dense dessert, she told me it wasn't so much technique as opposed to the choice of ingredients they use. They only buy the best and freshest of ingredients and don't add any fillers or preservatives. What I loved the most is that their work shines through their product. You can feel the love and the family history that went into the cupcake and the dedication put in by both Mom and Daughter. At the end of the day, that's what really makes their cupcakes special. You can spend tons of money on ingredients from all over the world, but there is only one ingredient that money can't buy: Family.

To the fiercely sweet Arttie and Briana, never stray from your craft! You have a wonderful talent of combining ingredients with a pinch of love, and you end up with this light and fluffy cake and these perfectly sweet toppings! Thank you for being so full of love and light! Hopefully, we will all be enjoying your cupcakes for years to come.

Well, my fellow foodies, I have a few loads of laundry with my name on it. So, with that said, I send you all lots of love and delicious noms from me to you.


Exquisitely yours, 

Nicky

No comments:

Post a Comment