Sunday, August 2, 2015

Cachapas & Arepas? Si! [And a Formal Apology]

Scrumptious Spotlight: Q'Sabroso Venezuelan Food Truck

Friday Night Food Truck Finds!

Good evening my fellow foodies!

**Before I begin tonight's blog post, I think it is only fair that I formally apologize for going on an unannounced hiatus for a few months. I was going through a difficult time in my life, and unfortunately, NickyNomDotCom had to take a bit of a hit. To those of you who've stayed loyal to the blog, I can't begin to thank you enough for sticking around and believing in me. So, with that being said, let's get back to what you all really logged on for: tonight's blog post!**

So, a few weeks ago, a good friend of mine and her boyfriend signed a new lease on their first apartment together (Congrats, Bil & JC!), and she had asked me to help her out with a DIY project she wanted to work on: a coffee table made of wooden pallets. After aimlessly driving around a construction field (After hours, of course), we made it out with the pallets and the other cuts of wood needed to build, what is now, their industrially chic coffee table. Needless to say, this worked up an appetite. Luckily for me, Bil (Which is short for Bilmary) and I have the same taste in food (Well... sort of). At least, when it comes to food truck fare, her and I usually will meet eye to eye. She told me of a truck which parks not far from where we were, and all she had to do was mention Arepas and I was all over it. Oh...you've never heard of Arepas before? Well, you're in for a treat!

An Arepa is a flat-bread made of ground corn dough or cooked flour (Depending on the country). It is typically eaten in Colombia and Venezuela. It is usually eaten with cheese, avocado, or in some cases, split in half and stuffed to make a sandwich (Which was the case here). We pulled into the shopping center parking lot right next to a car dealer. There were four long tables set up with fold-out chairs laid out, about four to a table. I approached the food truck: "Q'Sabroso! Food Truck" it read, which translates to 'How Tasty'. 

Now, keep in mind, this is my first time having authentic Venezuelan food, so I had no idea where to start. Everything looked so good, and smelled even better! I ordered an Arepa filled with pork and Bil ordered an Arepa filled with ham and cheese. Hers strictly came with ham and Queso Guayanes, which is a cheese popular to the Bolivian region of Venezuela. It has a texture very much like Mozzarella, but melts ever so slightly in your mouth. My pork Arepa came with chopped cabbage and a house sauce, which was like a typical pink sauce. Once I bit into it, all I could honestly think was, "How did I not know about this?!" It was amazing! The pork was so tender and juicy and seasoned just right. I want to say it was marinated in Mojo because of the acidic notes on the back of my tongue. It was crispy and luscious, and had just the right amount of tanginess. Together with the crunch of the cabbage and the soft, melted queso guayanes, and the tang of the pink sauce, all these flavors came together for what was a harmonious experience in my mouth.

Naturally, it wouldn't stop there. We both split what I was told was a Cachapa, which I could best describe as a Venezuelan quesadilla. Imagine an arepa with more of a texture like a pancake and filled with unctuous Queso Guayanes melted perfectly in the middle. Ladies and gentlemen, it was such a luscious experience. We cut right through the middle, revealing this slow moving sea of cheese, oozing out ever so slightly. It was heavenly. I slice a wedge from my portion and pop it in my mouth. Cheesus! There are very few words to describe the experience, because it was that good. Who know that the simplest of ingredients would make for such an appetizing dish, known everywhere in Venezuela?

To the group at Q'Sabroso Food Truck, muy bien hecho (very well made)! The food was made fresh to order, everything tasted amazing, I couldn't have asked for more. The staff was friendly and helpful in my decision making, which made the experience that much more enjoyable. Un millon de gracias (a million thank you's)!

Well my fellow foodies, it is officially time for me to get to bed. Another busy day tomorrow at work, so I need to make sure I get my rest. Until next time, I'm sending you nothing but love and delicious noms to you and yours!


Exquisitely yours,

Nicky

2 comments:

  1. I had a venezuelan food truck in Downtown Orlando and it was fire, Ive been meaning to try a good Arepa, looks like I will have to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was delicious! A real must-try!

      Xoxo, Nicky

      Delete